Changing the Minds of Muslims
i***@gmail.com
2015-03-09 02:33:59 UTC
So far, the fight against Islamic fascism has been mostly limited to military actions. Meanwhile ISIS and similar groups have had great success in convincing other people in the region of their rightfulness. I believe that persusasion is a much better tactic than killing, as it costs nothing in lives and minimal things in money; and I for one cannot believe that more is not being done to sway the minds of the vulnerable populations.

I would suggest broadcasts into these areas, similar to Voice of America broadcasts into the Soviet Union during the Cold War. That way people's minds will change. And while I certainly support ongoing military operations against real enemies, more simply needs to be done to convince people that they are wrong.

One argument that they need to hear is that America is the reason that they can be Muslims at all. If not for America, the world would be practicing Communism; and if it was practicing Communism, they would not be able to be Muslims at all. Whereas with America as the top-dog country, they can be as Muslim as they want to be for as long as they aren't killing Americans or their allies.

Another argument that stands to be made is that Mohammad was simply not a credible moral leader. He had sex with a 9-year-old girl when he was 81. He was a tyrant. It makes sense to get one's moral instruction from say Jesus Christ, who lived an ethical, compassionate, self-sacrificial life. It makes no sense to get one's moral instruction from a pedophile.

Quran actually promises boys in heaven for believers (Sura 76:19). My response to that is that I want nothing do do with a heaven such as that. Nor do I want anything to do with a creep who would offer such a thing.

But even if Quran was true, there are statements in it that forbid the conduct of groups such as ISIS. I refer to Sura 33:48

And do not obey the disbelievers and the hypocrites but do not harm them, and rely upon Allah .

This flies straight into contradiction of those who want to kill infidel.

There are some people who equate "Islamophobia" with racism. They are wrong. People choose their religion; they do not choose their race. Discriminating on matters that are open to choice is rightful. Discriminating on matters that are not open to choice is not.

I was referred to as a bigot for claiming that American Muslims need to report to authorities those among them who are terrorists. I see nothing bigoted about that at all. It is common sense. You want to live in peace in a country, you report or confront those who are at war with the country. This is not bigotry, it is reason.

The most ridiculous part of this situation is that some of the same people who are most adamantly against abuse of women and children are accepting of the most misogynistic and brutal faith on the planet. I have news for these people. If ISIS and others like them have their way, they would be pregnant-and-barefoot punching bags with numerous injuries. Yes, there are jerks in the West; but in Islam these abuses are more widespread than they are even in conservative Christianity. And yes, this statement comes from knowing any number of women who've had Muslim husbands.

I want more to be done by way of changing people's minds away from the grip of groups such as ISIS. That will reduce bloodshed and that will reduce the cost. There are enough factual arguments that the West can use to influence people susceptible to ISIS or Taliban indoctrination; and using them will improve significantly the West's chances of winning this war.
Epizoot Wilkins
2015-03-11 00:24:36 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
I was referred to as a bigot for claiming that American Muslims need to
report to authorities those among them who are terrorists. I see
nothing bigoted about that at all. It is common sense. You want to live
in peace in a country, you report or confront those who are at war with
the country. This is not bigotry, it is reason.
You're not a bigot. You're a wanker, and a public one at that.